A baby named Ickitt: M.I.A pushes the celebrity baby name envelope

UPDATE: After this was written, M.I.A. announced that the reports of baby Ickitt were unfounded. The name's a sham. The Name Lady is relieved to hear it: a name that simply didn't fit her name-worldview simply didn't exist. Order is restored.

A lot of fuss is made about "weird" celebrity baby names -- even when they're not so weird. Most often, the famous parents are simply taking a current trend and pushing it a step farther. Honor? Kingston? Not a big leap in a world of Faith and Hope, Trenton and Devon. Even Bronx is just another outer borough, following in Brooklyn's footsteps.

And then a celebrity name comes along that is truly one of a kind. This name isn't a mere extension of a trend, it's an island unto itself. Today, the world met such a name when musician M.I.A. and her fiance revealed they'd named their son Ickitt.

An outburst of global bafflement has ensued. Even this Name Lady has to admit she hasn't a clue. We'll have to wait for the parents to explain the origin of their name choice. But in the meantime, some thoughts on why this one famous baby name is so thoroughly unlikely.

Reason 1. The obvious: "ick." Synonym of "yuck," common disease of aquarium fish, and the main reason Ichabod is unlikely to make a comeback in our lifetimes. Ick is enough to scare 99.9% of parents off a name.

Reason 2. Lemony Snicket. If the name Ickitt gives you vague forebodings of being orphaned and set adrift on an ice floe, blame "A Series of Unfortunate Events."

Reason 3. It's not a surname. It's not a word. It's not a place name. No part of it rhymes with Brayden. In other words, Ickitt breaks all the rules of inventing new names. Which is almost enough to make you love it...if it weren't for reasons 1 & 2.

Comments

March 6, 2009 2:31 PM

Isn't 'ickle' british cutesy british slang for little. It sounds like Stick It!

It's about time a celeb lived up to Zappa!

I love it. Wouldn't name my baby that. Maybe a very cute little dog.

March 6, 2009 2:49 PM
By Tirzah (not verified)

Hopefully they will call him Kitt!

March 6, 2009 8:04 PM
By Stephanie (not verified)

Ickis was the main character in Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, a cartoon that played on Nickelodeon when I was growing up. =)

March 6, 2009 10:23 PM
By Alex Levy (not verified)

Thoroughly enjoyable, funny post by the Name Lady!

March 6, 2009 10:27 PM
By Alex Levy (not verified)

Thoroughly enjoyable, funny post by the Name Lady!

March 6, 2009 10:56 PM
By Caitlin B (not verified)

She updated her blog or myspace or whathaveyou saying this isn't what she named her baby.

Unrelatedly, I found out today there's a girl in my cousin's Kindergarten class named Braedia! Oh God! I'd rather Ickitt.

June 16, 2009 12:18 PM
By Donny (not verified)

I think celebs compete in selecting the most unpopular and weird baby names. Sometimes they go to far though, they should think about their kids too, there a possibility that the kid may be ashamed by his name and thus to change it as I recently read about Demi Moore's daughter. There is nothing wrong with popular baby names considering that the name of your kid has certain influences in his life.

August 5, 2009 7:00 AM
By san francisco event catering (not verified)

That is funny :))))

March 4, 2010 11:25 PM
By Adult Games (not verified)

I like the above article.... very funny

thanks for the post

September 30, 2010 5:58 AM
By Lucy (not verified)

I still find it puzzling that people are so obsessed with finding unique names. At the end of the day it is the person that counts not the name. Having said that my son is very sensitive if people play games with his name :)

March 22, 2013 2:54 AM
By brazilian hair (not verified)

This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not everyday that I have the possibility to see something like this

February 16, 2014 11:47 AM
By http://system-tech.pl (not verified)

Nice blog here! Also your website loads up fast! What host are you using?
Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish
my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

August 27, 2017 10:34 PM

The baby's actual name was Ikhyd. I think most of this post still applies.