What do you get when you cross George with Edward?

We would like to use our grandfathers' names -- George and Edward -- to name our son but we don't want to call him either of those names. Can you come up with some combinations of those two names for another name to call him? - Loyal granddaughter

In the great baby name revolution, grandparents have been the biggest victims. Oh, we still love them, and we still want to honor them. But their names? That's another matter.

For centuries, the way to honor Grandpa George and Grandpa Edward was obvious. George Edward. Or Edward George, if you prefer. That's what a namesake is, right?

Not anymore. Today, our sense of style trumps family ties when it comes to names.

Like many parents, you're looking deep into the original names for a creative solution. Mashups that combine the originals are especially popular as a way to honor multiple relatives with a single name. This kind of name-building is tricky, though. Get it wrong and you end up with something that sounds more like an allergy medication. (Clarice + Martin = Claritin?)

Edward and George are a particularly challenging pair, full of squishy consonants that don't blend neatly. Using smaller segments of the names may help. Jed, Gerard and Jordan are three familiar names that incorporate bits and pieces of the originals. If your tastes are edgier, you could even use the starts of both names to make ... Edge.

Taking it a step further, you might turn the first initials of the two names into a beginning and ending of one name. G-E gives you Graeme or Gage.

Finally, don't forget the special perks of traditional names. Centuries' worth of nicknames (like Ned for Edward) and foreign variations (Göran for George) give you plenty of raw materials for building your name of the future.

Comments

October 13, 2009 1:05 PM
By Amanda (not verified)

If you're planning on having more children, you could use one name now and save the other one for kid #2.

For example you could use Edward as a middle name for baby #1 and save George (or Georgina, Georgia) for baby #2.

October 13, 2009 2:40 PM
By Abbey (not verified)

It was sort of accidental, but our son Brendan's name incorporates the first half of my husband Brent's name and the first three letters of my father Danny's name. That said, it was more happy coincidence that a plan as it was a name we happened to like that also had a spiffy extra feature.

October 13, 2009 4:07 PM
By Zoerhenne (not verified)

I had the option of naming my dd Kimberley Elizabeth which just so happens to have the same initials as my husbands name. I chose to name her something different but serendipitiuosly(sp?) found out that as a family we all have first initials that spell a nice word. Think LOVE.

October 14, 2009 7:02 AM
By Kelly (not verified)

My grandparents named my aunt this way at the suggestion of my great-grandmother. My grandparents names were Jane and Ivan, so they took the first three letters of each of their names and mashed them together for their daughter: Janiva (pronounced like Geneva). Growing up in the 50's and 60's, she went by Jan, and switched to using her full name in college.
I have a hard time imagining doing this now, but her name suits her perfectly and she wears it well.

October 14, 2009 6:48 PM
By A Rose (not verified)

Or you could always just use the initials. I met a baby named Matilda named for great grandma Mary and great grandma Margaret. But if you liked say, Evan or Geoffrey or Ethan or Gabriel or whatever you could use them.

October 15, 2009 5:31 PM

I'm going against the flow, but I think that once you deviate that much against the original names, the meaning is gone. It might be an 'secret' meaning for you and your family, but nothing more. It would be like saying that my son Joe is named for his father Gerard because they both start with a J sound. Or dd Madalyn was named for grandmother Dolores because they both contain a D.

It also seems almost offensive. "I love you grandmother Dolores, but I hate your name. So I'm going to honor your by choosing a name vaguely related to yours. But not yours - because that would be too awful!'

October 15, 2009 9:37 PM
By Sebastiane (not verified)

I was named for my grandmother who was born at the turn of the century. A lot of people assume my name is a modern trendy name, but its really not. Some people think its a Russian name and never know how to pronounce it, I've been asked if I speak English after someone sees my name.

Off topic, but in your case, I think George and Edward are perfectly nice names. There are other equivalents to George and Edward. You might like the Italian Giorgio or Gio instead. That's just one cool George alternative that comes to mind. For Edward you might liked Edison.

October 17, 2009 12:40 AM
By Debbie (not verified)

Another good choice is to use a family last name. We named our son Samuel after my grandpa. His name was Duane Samuels. Interestingly enough, his middle name, MacMillan, sounds like a last name but is a first name that runs in my husband's family. So he has a last name for a first name and a middle name that sounds like a last name... all using our family names.

October 18, 2009 4:15 PM

you could always give the baby two middle names: *first name* George Edward/Edward George *last name.* I agree with above Anonymous, if you stray from the original name, it's not really the same.

October 18, 2009 5:05 PM

I think George and Edward are nice, solid names. What's wrong with using them in original form? George or Edward would be far more distinctive than a trendy non-name.

If the baby is a girl, then Gaia is a nice choice that has a common root with George.

October 25, 2009 11:25 PM

I like to look at name meanings, try to combine them and see where it goes.

For example, Edward means "Wealth protector" and George is "Earth worker." So, I like the "earth" meaning. By searching for names with "earth" in the meaning, I found that the the name Kai means "Keeper of earth." Keeper and protector are pretty close in meaning. So Kai might be considered a combination of Edward and George.

Then I searched for "protector" and found Hammond, which means "home protector." Home and earth sort of a have a similar meaning. So Hammond might also be considered a combination of Edward and George.

October 29, 2009 6:42 PM
By NameLover (not verified)

Variations:
Eddy
Edwin
Edie (EE-dee, for a girl)
Georgette
Georgiana
Georgia
Georgie
Geo (G-oh)

Sound Similar:
Elodie (Eddy)
Teddy (Eddy)

You could use one name, and a middle initial. Examples:

Georgiana E. Baldwin
Edwin G. Harper

November 4, 2009 9:45 PM

So, am I only the only one who thinks some mishmash of a name doesn't really honor anyone? Either use the name or don't -- but don't then try to say you named your child Mackenna to honor your grandmother Mary. It don't work like that! (And, yes, I realize it should have said: "It doesn't work like that ...")

November 7, 2009 5:30 PM

I agree that if you don't use the original name than you may as well not use it at all! I think using Edward/George with a well chosen nn is the best solution. Or simply use Edward/George as a middle name as a small tribute and pick a first name you actually want your child to have.

November 10, 2009 10:53 AM

georgedwards can be his name.

November 14, 2009 11:25 PM
By moll (not verified)

When you go 100 years or so back in my family tree, there were SUCH missteps trying to combine 2 names: Tessiebelle (for grandmothers Tess and Annabelle); MerceAnn (for Mercedes + Anne), Johnita (why??). Thanks for writing this and showing that, with some care, parents can honor relatives but still use attractive, fresh names.

November 21, 2009 11:23 PM

i think its perfectly normal to want a cooler version of an old fashioned name.
my godmothers name was wynona but i love the more modern nonnah.
my moms name is barbara but im not having a little barbie like her nickname, however i love barbriella and babette as middle names.
my aunts name is marsha and my cousin honored her with a little marcie.
dont listen to these people that say it has no meaning anymore because you are going to have to explain one day why you named your child that name.
you are the one who has to say their name 100 times a day, and you are the one who has to love this name forever.
so dont let anyone bully you.
i love boy names that are strange and "silly" but im the one who has to live with it. everyone else just has to visit....
so i do like the person who said use a first name and two middle names and the one who talked about their meanings.

let's see.....edward and george....

edric
edrian
edson
eddell or edell (like the guy on private practice)
eddison
edge ....thats how that lady got gage
edair
edmund

and george

geon
geordan (pronounced just like jordan)
georgian

jordan adair = geordan edair

eddison jorge

my favs personally....

and dont forget jorge with a j because that guy is always smokin!

and edward in portuguese is duarte which is a pretty cool one.

hope i helped! good luck!

November 23, 2009 9:22 PM

Isn't there a UK brother set on some reality show that have been nicknamed Jedward?

December 28, 2009 3:56 PM
By tamtam (not verified)

Not YOU have to live with the name but the baby will have to. And your child has to suffer if the make jokes about it in school.

January 1, 2010 4:57 PM
By Maria de Acero (not verified)

Oh please not Jedward!!!

January 8, 2010 10:58 PM
By Beth (not verified)

Georgeward is the obvious solution.

Or Edward George/George Edward, nn "Skeeter."

January 26, 2010 2:14 PM

You could use one as the first name and other other as the middle. Or give him a double name lie Edward George Paul Smith. When I want to make a portmanteau name, sometimes I use more of the middle/end letters. The end of Edward + the Middle of George gave me Ardor (which is a bonus as well. It's an actual word that can mean warmth/heat and also passion). You have to think about them and try to be creative, or else you'll wind up with a crazy convoluted name like Georgeward.

January 28, 2010 3:37 PM

I think it is ok to stretch- because you know the meaning. I agreed that if we ever had a dd we would use the middle name Rose after my late MIL. One day 6+ months prego my dh said that if we were having a girl, he would like to keep an "R" middle name, but not Rose. I asked why and he responded that there was a number of "Rose's" in the family, including his niece- so we went with Renee. The "R" to honor his Mother and a French name to honor my heritage.

January 28, 2010 5:01 PM

I loved this post! I have 2 sons, one is named George, the other is Edward. They are the only ones in their school and we get tons of compliments on the names!

January 29, 2010 6:23 AM
By Renee (not verified)

My daughter is named Rosalinda for both of her grandmothers. My husbands mothers name is Rosario and my mothers name is Linda. The end result is beautiful.

February 17, 2010 5:25 PM
By Kristin (not verified)

Hmmmm..... how's about Edgerge or Gedwerd? Not working out well, oh well, that wasn't gonna work.

June 22, 2010 10:17 PM

I have 2 sons, George and Edward and I think they are fabulous names.

August 24, 2011 12:31 PM

Ged (pronounced Jed)!

August 24, 2011 12:44 PM
By Nicki (not verified)

Go crazy...call the kid Edge. :) Ed from Edward and ge from George. I actually liked that as a name before this...but now it has a nice meaning to go with it, too.

August 24, 2011 5:11 PM
By Anya (not verified)

I love the name Edward and like George, so I would just name him Edward George:)
I agree with those who say naming the child something that shares a couple of sounds with either grandpa's name is not honoring. Picking a nickname of Edward or George for the first name and either Edward or George in full for the middle name is acceptable, although I'm not a fan of nicknames on a birth certificate.

March 12, 2014 7:18 PM
By Terence (not verified)

Thank you for every other great article. Where else could anybody get that
kind of info in such a perfect means of writing?
I have a presentation next week, and I'm at the
look for such information.

July 30, 2015 1:28 PM

Please, nobody mash up bits of anything together. It will be a meaningless & ugly mess. See what Moll said!

I agree, Edward & George are fine names, first or middle, & you can give Edward to one baby & George to another. Even if they weren't fine names, e.g. particularly out-of-fashion, it wouldn't be an honor to someone with that name to give a baby a different name. What if you were the ancestor? Would you appreciate a bit torn out of your name smashed together with a bit torn out of someone else's? Would you think, since my name is now out of fashion, the latest popular, maybe even meaningless, name that happens to have the same initial counts as the same?

Edward means 'wealth' + 'guard', so 'wealthy guard'? Or, I think more likely 'guardian of wealth'. Sorry I don't know precisely, but whatever it means, that doesn't have anything with edges or passion. (Doesn't anyone else agree, nobody's name, particularly a baby's, should mean 'passion'?) The component of Anglo-Saxon names that means 'edge' is 'ecg' or 'eg', as in 'Egbert' ('edge' + 'bright'). 'George' we know means 'farmer'. So the one grandfather is (apparently) 'guardian of wealth' & the other is 'farmer', & 'Edward' & 'George' are the only names in English that mean those things. Other 'Ed-' names, for instance, are different: 'Edmund' is 'PROTECTION of wealth' (almost the same though), & 'Edwin' is 'FRIEND of wealth' or 'rich FRIEND', i.e. these are different people from Edward. In other languages, 'guardian of wealth' & 'farmer' are generally variations of 'Edward' & 'George', & are strangely foreign & harder to pronounce & spell for native speakers of English.

And what meaning does one initial have anyway? There are at least a couple dozen male names in English starting with each initial. I mean did I honor my great-aunt Ida, a name with an Old Germanic meaning of 'work', by naming my daughter 'Inga', with an Old Norse meaning (more or less) of 'fertility'? And what if the names start with 'A'? There are probably the most names in English with that initial. Would the honor be more diffuse? None of the stuff about initials makes any sense. If we used hieroglyphics, maybe it would slightly.

Therefore, in English-speaking countries, to honor an Edward, the baby must get the name 'Edward' in some place (first, second...), & likewise for a George.