Worst Baby Name Trends of the Decade

Here at Name Lady Central we see names of all stripes, from the common and conservative to the wild and woolly. Most of them, even the woolliest, are chosen with love by well-meaning moms and dads. But a few name trends from the past decade have crossed the line. Here are the Name Lady's picks for the worst name trends of the decade:

Selling Your Baby's Name To The Highest Bidder
Did you hear about the expectant parents who put naming rights to their new baby up for auction on eBay? In fact, you've had plenty of chances to hear that since the year 2000. In the sell-from-home decade, several families have seen baby naming as an opportunity to pick up some quick cash. This year, one determined Arkansas mom re-listed her unborn son's name auction five times. Her goal (unmet) was $20,000 to help pay the household bills.

Some of the eBay parents have seemed genuinely desperate, while others may have just been out for attention. Before you write them all off, consider one thing they had in common: They were trying to sell a name that belonged to somebody else, not their own. That makes them fitting emblems for a decade when more and more parents started treating baby names as creative fashion accessories.

Giving Your Baby A Corporate Trademark Name
There's a natural overlap between product names and baby names. Parents may be attracted to a name like Sienna for a girl for the same reasons that Toyota was attracted to it for a minivan. But since the '90s, the brand naming of babies has reached new heights. Labels like Nautica, Lexus and Armani have joined the ranks of America's top 1,000 names, and almost no popular brand seems off limits. At last count, four American boys sported the name ESPN.

The U.S. doesn't regulate baby names, but the more we bestow corporate trademarks on children, the closer we come to a brave new world of naming law. What does it mean when a corporation owns the rights to your name? What will happen to little ESPN if he wants to be a sportswriter, or to Nautica if she tries to design clothes?

Using Names As An Excuse To Make Fun Of People

Name insults are as old as schoolyard taunts. In this decade, though, adults have elevated baby name bashing to the level of blood sport. Whenever a new celebrity baby is born, the world waits with bated breath to tear the name to shreds. (In reality, most celebrity babies have perfectly normal names -- Henry and Ava are favorites -- but what fun is that?)

The most toxic name bashing uses names, real or invented, as a sly way to make fun of whole segments of our society. For example, one of the hottest Internet stories of recent years is the dubious tale of the girl named Le-a, pronounced Ledasha because "the dash don't be silent." The most common version of that story concludes with the commentary, "And we let these people vote."

Making Your Baby's Name A Tool To Advance Your Agenda
In December 2008, the Campbell family of New Jersey made international headlines when a supermarket bakery refused to write their young son's name in icing on a birthday cake. The rejected name: Adolf Hitler.

The parents expressed shock and dismay at the store's decision, but it soon became clear that they knew the score. The supermarket had rejected the Campbells' requests before, and they had pointedly insisted on both first and middle names on the cake, not just Adolf. In short, the parents had set up a media event, using their child's name as bait. Their whole Nazi-named brood and swastika-filled living room were soon being beamed to news outlets across the globe. How long before more zealots of every stripe follow suit, naming their children as living billboards?

Here's wishing us all a new decade of loving, well-chosen names.

Comments

January 6, 2010 3:22 PM

Because stories about girls named La-a (pronounced Ladasha) have spread wildfire-like around the internet, it is tempting to conclude that this is a fake naming trend, particularly in light of the disgraceful racist tinge that some of the commentary has taken. However, in my work as a pediatrician, I am on the front lines of baby naming trends, and without breaking patient confidentiality I would like to vouch for the fact that there is at least one young girl whose name rhymes with La-a in the Northeastern U.S.

January 11, 2010 10:28 PM

My friend is a teacher and she had a girl in her class with a "-" (dash) name as well. What's wrong with people?

January 15, 2010 6:31 PM

i couldn't believe it when i saw it, but in my work i come across some odd names, but a child was actually named (pronounced sha-theed) Shithead! Who would do that to a young child??

January 16, 2010 3:56 PM
By Mandy (not verified)

The Shithead joke is an oldie, but a goodie.

January 17, 2010 4:21 AM
By Mary Margaret Johnston (not verified)

I am a teacher in an inner-city high school in a very ghetto area. Students can be tramatized by their peers' reaction to names. When naming your child, make it easy to remember, easy to spell and easy to pronounce. Prospective employers will not bother with an applicant whose name is difficult to pronounce, remember or spell, and will toss that application in the trash. There is nothing wrong with names like John, James, Thomas, Susan, Sarah, Jennifer....and Mary.

January 18, 2010 4:27 PM

And if you truly want your child to have a unique name that not every other person on the planet has that's ok too. Adolf Hitler was selfish becasue they were naming there kid to make a point. But if you pick a name for the fact that you love your child it doesn't matter if their name is La-a.

January 18, 2010 8:35 PM
By Ms. X (not verified)

My heart goes out to the couple wanting to name their daughter Agnes. It really is a beautiful name; I have also heard it as Agnese (Ag-Nuh-Zay), which is also cool and unusual. My feeling is that whatever the name, it should fit like a good coat--not a tiara or kneepads or something you'd see on promotional clothing.

What floors me is how rude people can be when you divulge the prospective baby name--"Oh, I HATE that name--I once knew a Margaret who was horrible..." Who needs to hear this? I once got into it with a guy who took issue with the only preference my husband had expressed about naming our child, which was that the name somehow be gender identified. This idiot actually started browbeating me, spewing forth all the non-gender-dentitifed names he could come up with, as if I would choose one on the spot!

On delivery, we had three names lined up for each of our two girls, and they were both named by my husband while we were in the recovery room. I didn't plan this total relinquishing of baby-naming power; it just seemed secondary to the baby being born. That moment of saying "Go for it" to my husband--who by the way is named LESLIE--is something we can laugh and talk about forever.

January 18, 2010 8:48 PM
By Lois (not verified)

I have a friend named Senga which is Agnes spelled backward, it's a very unique name !

January 19, 2010 12:09 AM
By Jennifer Tucker Orlando, Fl (not verified)

While pregnant with my oldest son 9 years ago I also let the "name bomb" drop to my Mother. I was naming my son Tegan. My Mom lost it saying it was a dogs name. I stood my ground, his name is Tegan and my Mom loves him all the same. So this is your child and I feel if you love the name Agnes then stick to it. I think it is a beautiful name. Congrats on your coming soon edition!

January 20, 2010 11:57 PM
By Jodi (not verified)

My sister-in-law teaches at a school where I little girl attends: Abcde (AB-see-dee). Pretty name, I thought, when she verbally said it, but when she told me the spelling, I thought "Oh, no."

January 23, 2010 6:57 AM

So, I have this friend and one day at work this lady was yelling at her daughter to sit down and quit running around. Shw kept saying "Centa, Centa come here and sit down!" "Centa, be have!"

So she [my friend] said "That is different... Where did you come up with it?

The mother looked at her and said...

"Well when I was in labor my doctore said something about 'Placenta and I just thought it was the most beautiful word I had ever heard!"

My Friend said she had to remind herself to pick her mouth up off the floor!!!!

January 23, 2010 12:01 PM
By James (not verified)

I am a managing partner of a large eastern law firm and sadly, I judge people by their names constantly. For some reason I just can't get over a name that is too out of the ordinary. With all due respect to the lady who is overly proud of the name Tegan, that young man wouldn't have a chance at my firm. Tegan is a bankteller's name. As is Tristan, Jaden, Kaden et al. Parents please think, you are doing your precious, innocent children a horrible disservice giving them these names. These names won't make them interesting. They will just make them targets.

January 23, 2010 8:09 PM
By Nicole (not verified)

To the woman who was (rightfully) proud of the name Tegan. I think this is a beautiful name, and I distrust James' claim that this somehow limits the potential of this child. Regarding this, it sounds perhaps as if the problem is James' discriminatory hiring practices, not the ineptness of the unusually named applicants. I might even let up on poor James a TAD if he was objecting to some of the odd names mentioned above (Abcde?). Truly, it's 2010. Tegan is NOT that unusual of a name. It actually breaks into the top 1000 names in the US.

I also wonder how major this law firm is if one of their employees has clearly had such limited world experience that he must overlook someone due to a semi-unique name. My experiences through travel have introduced me to a variety of beautiful, odd (to me) names, and I must say, the oddness of the name never seemed to limit the potential of these men and women, even in the US.

January 25, 2010 3:17 PM
By Kellie (not verified)

I have a little girl named Teagan, and her name solicited some questions initially. The worst of which was when the wife of one of my husband's friends tried to tell me that we were mis-pronouncing it (we say tee-gan and she thought it should be tay-gan). I politely let her know that since I chose the name, I could also choose the pronunciation. The interesting thing is that when we told our Australian friends the name we had chosen, their response was, "Beautiful name! Sarah has three Teagans in her class."

After my husband insisted on naming our first child Alexander (one of 12 Alexanders born in the hospital where I delivered that week) I wanted a name that was different enough that she wouldn't be one of four girls with the same name in her kindergarten class, but not so different that she'd have to change her name if she ever hoped to get a job.

January 27, 2010 12:52 PM
By Amber (not verified)

To James, re: Tegan. I believe it's actually an Irish name, which would make your hiring preferences a little short sighted and perhaps even a little racist.

January 27, 2010 4:59 PM
By Carol (not verified)

Wow James, Your mind is closed tighter than a drumhead on a drum! You are missing out on a large group of wonderful people with creative parents! You should interview a few of these weirdoes and ask them about their parent's naming choices. You might get some insight into a world you never knew existed.

My name is Carol so this is obviously not personal, also my children's names are not "weird" either, but I just feel sorry for you. Some of the nicest people I know have unusual names. You should never judge a book by it's cover.

Best,

January 28, 2010 8:29 PM
By Camille (not verified)

I know plenty of people with "unusual" names!
I know a Linzy, Laralee, Clio, Fauna, Flynt, Mo (Mortimer), Sebi (Sebastian), and more.... and although their names are a bit more unusual than most names (I know two Pauls, three Reuben/Rubens, four Andrews, three Benjamins, countless Brittanies, Ashleighs, etc.--all much more common than the single Fauna I know, for example) their names FIT them and they look good with their names and they like their names.

February 4, 2010 12:03 PM
By bonnie (not verified)

I too will say that "James" is not someone I'd want to work & I would not frequent his place of business. He is judgemental, sounds racist also & probably has been around people like this a long time, he has low self esteem & is critisized alot. So he continues on with what he knows. Very sad. I think Teagan is an awesome name!~ Very cute!~ God Bless all the Teagans out there & their parents too!~

February 5, 2010 9:52 AM
By Ana (not verified)

My daughter was adopted, and her birth mother had already given her two names. However, my husband and I had two other names picked out for her. She has a very long name because her birth names were part of her identity and we didn't want to cheat her out of them. Secondly, the name that we chose for her, Abigail (Abby), was universally hated by our family, and they certainly let us know about it--not that it was any of their business. We let them name their kids whatever they wanted! We named her Abigail anyway because it meant so much to us. They've become accustomed to it, and it's actually quite popular anyway. It had conjured up images of old ladies (even to me, I admit--but it was the right name). My family calls her Abby, and they're happy now! Also, in response to James, he is correct in saying that people do judge you at first by your name (at least if they only see it on paper).
Ana

February 5, 2010 2:55 PM
By Devon (not verified)

My boyfriend and I take Salsa lessons, and there was a girl in our class named Teagan. When I heard her name, I looked at him with that "Future baby name?" raised eyebrow he knows so well.... to which he responded, "Teagan Regan?"

Forgot about that little detail!

February 7, 2010 6:38 AM

I work with a girl named Makyra, pronounced muh-KIE-ruh. Never heard the name before and she's a sweetheart so she and her name are very memorable.

February 10, 2010 1:22 PM
By Brandy M (not verified)

My almost 18 year old son's name is Chae. Hard CH like Charles and the ae sounds like "ay". Other than the few references over the years to Che Guevara and more than a few mispronunciations (SHay) his name has not affected him adversely in anyway. To the contrary, he has excelled...running many student organizations, making straight A's and B's in school and he was just accepted to a "Big 12" college. He is also very popular with his peers. I like to think the way he was raised has more to do with all of this than his name. In any case, his name is so different that most people can't think of anything negative to say when they hear it. They usually only want to know how he came by the name. I have to say it suits him, perfectly. I DO admit that I was worried a little about when he became an adult...saying "The Honorable Judge Chae M---" out loud frequently and so decided to give him a "normal" middle name that he could use as an adult if he wasn't comfortable with his name later in life. Chae Justin. Happily, he LOVES his name (especially the uniqueness of it)and wouldn't change it for the world. Oh, people who read his name prior to meeting him ARE surprised he isn't Asian. I learned years later that Chae is also a Korean name. He's light-brown hair, green eyes, caucasian. This just seems to have made him more interesting to people though, lol. My younger son (almost 8 years old) also has what I THOUGHT was an unusual name, Kyler. Turns out there are more (girl AND boy) Kylers out there than I knew of, lol. It is still an uncommon name but most people love it as soon as they hear it and say so. I also gave him a "normal" middle name, just in case. Kyler Timothy. Now I am expecting my third child (yes, at 37 years old! eek)...with an unusual girl's name picked out (only name I have decided on so far) and I will also balance the uniqueness of that name with a "normal, socially acceptable" middle name she can use as an adult IF she chooses. Sorry, not sharing that name though...it's Top Secret until baby arrives! =)
My whole point is that I disagree that an unusual name can be detrimental but I definitely think an unusual name should be balanced with a typical middle name.
One more mention....one of the young ladies my oldest goes to high school with, her name is Sawyer Cox. I was MORTIFIED for her when I found out. Her mother is a HS teacher at the same school, you would think a HS teacher would be aware of the connotations that could be implied with that name so I surmise she just didn't care. I would usually never judge someone's choice of name for their child but I think it's horrible for that young lady to have been stuck with that monniker. =( It sounds like a joke, but it's not. I see nothing funny about it. =(

February 10, 2010 10:02 PM
By Rozax (not verified)

My husband and I want to adopt when we're financially stable (we're both still students right now), and I am afraid of falling in love with a child whose biological parents gave them a terrible name. If they're young enough, it'll be an easy fix, but what if they're eight years old? What do we do then? I don't want my children to be short-changed because their biological parents didn't know what a placenta is.

February 12, 2010 11:20 AM
By Ashley (not verified)

This is in response to James at the law firm. While I appreciate the fact that you can be honest and say that you realize you judge people by their names it’s sad that you feel the way you do. While we are all allowed to have our opinions it’s sad that your personal opinion has probably gotten in the way of someone’s dream of working at your law firm. You could’ve just as easily been one of the names you listed as weird, and sadly if your resume had come across the desk of someone with your view points you would not be in the position you are in! I would also like to disagree with the fact that you feel giving your child a different name is a disgrace and will keep them from being anything. For example Millard,Ulysses,Rutherford,Grover,Woodrow,Lyndon,and Barack are all different names and clearly their parents didn't do them any kind of disservice what so ever because they all grew up to become one of our United States Presidents! Clearly their name did not stand in the way. Even if you don't agree with their presidency you can’t argue that they were very successful. Also I don't care for your insinuation towards banktellers I mean are there also names for plumbers and doctors?

February 12, 2010 11:41 AM
By Ashley (not verified)

My Daughters name is Reeslyn pronouced Reese-lyn. Her middle name is Mckenzie and if she grows up to dislike Reeslyn she can go by Mckenzie. I have no idea where the name came from its not in any baby name books but I truly love the name I think its very pretty and I can not imagine her having a different name. Good luck naming your childern I think as long as you do it with love and try to consider how they will feel with the name as they go through life you will do a great job naming your childern. However if your doing to be weird or funny that is really unfair to your childern.

February 12, 2010 9:22 PM

I shudder at all of the alternative spellings out there. It's one thing to honor a relative or ethnic heritage with an unusual spelling of a name, but when parents try to get "creative" at the expense of their child, it's unfortunate. Would you want your child to go through life constantly having to correct people?

February 17, 2010 5:09 PM
By Kristin (not verified)

I know a girl named Chaix. Pronunced like SHay, the 'x' is silent. People have said Shaks, Sheeks, and Sha-ey-eexe. And it's a simple name! I think that the name Esmee is beautiful, as is Paget (like Padge-it), but people laugh saying I will have a daughater named after a vampire or an actress! For boys I like two part names like Matthew-Gray and Carlisle-Grae ( Grae= Gray)or even Michael-Jacob.

February 17, 2010 10:30 PM

February 17, 2010 10:35 PM

Even though there is nothing wrong with names like John, James, Thomas, Susan, Sarah, or Jennifer, I must say that though employers do tend to skip over names they can't pronounce, some of them also skip over ones that are boring and plain and that they see day and day out, such as the names stated above. The name doesn't have to be unpronouncable, but there is also no need to make them so plain and common. Why not make them memorable but able to pronounce?

February 18, 2010 12:40 PM

The only thing wrong with weird names is when you're treating your child as a fashion statement and not a person. In the old days, names were about things like cultural tradition (e.g. Bible names), family continuity (grandpa's name) and important values like ('Hope' or 'Mercy'). These days it's about 'individuality', which basically means 'look at meeee, I'm soooo different!'. Except it's not the child saying that, it's the parents wanting to look cool through them. When kids grow up, it's who they are that will make them stand out. After all David Bowie's son 'Zowie' is a talented film director but now calls himself 'Duncan Jones'.

February 18, 2010 8:12 PM

I appreciate that we live in a country that allows us to have free reign over our imagination in naming our children. There are some European countries that have a list of acceptable names that you can choose from. Although, I'm sure the list isn't short, it still is a restriction. But having said that my father was an OB/GYN and had a chance to see quite a few babies and their new names and let me tell you based on the stories of some choices it does make you think that there might be a situation in which parents should be limited in there choices. I'm not talking about names like Jaden or Teagan they might be unique but they are still perfectly lovely respectable names. What I am talking about is the woman who heard my dad say something about meconium and though it was such a lovely name for her new daughter. Even after the nurses told her what it meant she still thought it would be a nice name. They had to spend quite some time talking her out of it as a name, explaining that people do know what it means and that it wasn't fair to do that to a child. I've also heard of parents using expletives as names for their children. To those parents I say it isn't your right to name them what ever you want. Original is fine, cruel is not. You might think it funny or quirky, but your child will grow up feeling hurt, asking what they did so wrong that you wouldn't give them a beautiful name to be proud of.

February 19, 2010 1:23 AM
By Karma (not verified)

I think it's sad that someone would refuse to hire a person on the merit of their name - something they didn't even have a say in (unless they've changed it legally)! Although, admittedly, it can go both ways.
My given name is Karma, and that was a constant hindrance in my getting employed, to the point where I was seriously considering going with either of my middle names - Violet and Heather - on my resume. However, the uniqueness of my name gained me an interview with my current employer when they had dismissed others with similar qualifications. I now work happily at a real estate agency. :)

February 21, 2010 6:07 AM

I have four daughters born from late 80s to early 90-s i named them from 1st to 4th Danielle Marie, Jennifer Lynn, Brianna Nicole, Rebecca Ann. and my grand daugthter name is Lilliana (Lilly) Marie. lke her mom. my kids all complain about there name . and i think my kids have great names not dorky or geeky or bazaar and they still ocmplain oh well i fiquer after 18 hours of labor i can name them what i want and like lol anyway what do you think bout the names i choose?

February 23, 2010 12:59 PM
By Nicki (not verified)

Wow, reading these horrible names doesn't make me feel so bad about naming my daughter Ryan.

February 23, 2010 4:43 PM

I wish I could get my family to read this, they complained when I told them I was naming my 2-ye-old son Zander Ramsay. My step mom even asked me "What are the chances of you changing your mind before he is born?". She is now his best friend!

March 9, 2010 4:04 PM

i am a nicu nurse and see all sorts of gems. we, too, have recently had a name that rhymed with la-a. it's not a myth, unfortunately.

March 9, 2010 10:02 PM
By Sally Odgers (not verified)

Hi James; you might be interested to know we named our son James. His sister is Tegan. I don't think I'd use it as a boy's name, however! I also like Tegwen. If we'd had a girl the first time, she would have been Juliana. If our Teg had been a boy, we would have used Jonathan.

March 14, 2010 4:01 PM
By Legally, it's Lindsay (not verified)

Even if a child has a relatively "normal" name like mine, you can STILL end up correcting the spelling all your life. Lindsay, Lindsey, Linsey, Lyndsay, etc, etc, etc. I actually choose to spell my name "Linzy" on almost all non-official documents because it makes my perfectly average (I think boring) name more interesting. My mother has even stated that she wishes she'd thought to spell it that way. I want to change it someday, but I think it might be more hassle than it's worth for now, because my husband is in the military, and getting the correct names into the computer system is apparently WAY harder than it should be!

March 19, 2010 12:57 AM
By Tiffany (not verified)

I know that everyone is knocking on James here (& I do see their point), but I manage a business, too. Seeing resumes with names on them that are hard/impossible to pronounce or are super trendy does make it tricky.

Many, many people make assumptions about you based on your name. No, it may not be right or fair, but we all do it to a degree. There have even been studies on the success of people with regards to specific names. It's our culture to read people & assess their personalities based on the information that we have about them.

For the most part, trendy names are not my style. However, I work as a photographer with many children who have names that I would never dream of giving to ANY child; let alone one of my own. Yet, I always see the beautiful child before me. Their strange name is merely an afterthought.

As for hiring practices, I give everyone their fair shake. Though I do still think that the Senga's & the Placenta's of the world still have to work a little bit harder in society to make their personalities shine beyond the uncommonness of their names.

March 26, 2010 12:17 PM

Wow. Dumb.

March 26, 2010 6:10 PM
By Anonymous get a clue ppl (not verified)

whatever becuse my name is diffrent and hard to prounuce but if ppl would take the time to try then we wouldn't have dis promblem i agree with everybody on here but u i would hate 2 be in your class

April 29, 2010 2:09 PM

We're foster parents and we've had some creatively named foster children over the years. We just find a cute nickname and stick with it.

We've also adopted 3 children. Two have the names given to them by bio-mom and one has a totally different name. I don't think that it matters to any of them. We're adopting a fourth shortly and we will change his name, too. We'll keep the same nickname he's had since birth, but his first name is odd (I think made up by mom) so we want to make it a little easier on him. If he wants to change it as an adult, we certainly will support him.

Right now he's 4 and is insisting on everyone calling him by his new name :)

May 7, 2010 2:30 PM

What self-respecting adult would name her child based on the possibility of what OTHER people MIGHT someday think? Besides that, I'm not sure I'd want my child employed by a person or firm that judges others by their name. Talk about living for your work...!

May 8, 2010 1:03 AM

There have been studies and more than a few articles indicating that, indeed, show that a "nonstandard" name is a liability in job hunting. If equally qualified, and equally well interviewed people named "David" and "Romel" are up for the same job, David tends to get it. It's an interview, not a long lasting & learning relationship. Showing up with a nonstandard name is like wearing a goofy necktie.

Individual anecdotes are wonderful, but these are exceptions and some offered not even applicable to the original statement that it hurts in job hunting. No one tells them "we hired someone else with a more approachable name" they only hear they didn't get it, or they went with another candidate.

Is it wrong? Is it uncool? Absolutely. It's also true. While it's good that people want to stand up and fight against it, the people suffering are those with the nonstandard names and, frankly, there's very little you can do to change it.

May 14, 2010 12:50 PM

The trouble is that styles change and a name that used to be very common falls out of favor, while some other uncommon name returns. How often have you heard of parents who selected a someone usual name that caught their fancy, only to discover that they were joining a trend. As a case in point, when I was growing up, Emma was an old fashion name found only in history or Jane Austen novels. And now it's one of the top girl's names. However, I disapprove of giving children names that are deliberately odd for the sake of making a political or commercial statement.

May 25, 2010 4:00 PM

Um....perhaps it's not your name but your complete lack of ability to spell or communicate in plain english that's dragging you down?

May 31, 2010 12:59 AM

"I don't hire people with weird names" seems like a poorly coded way of saying you don't hire anyone who isn't middle class and white. Who gets to keep their own naming traditions and who has to use middle class white American names? If you moved somewhere else, would you give your kids names from the new culture, or still expect to keep your "normal" names? Why is whether an applicant's parents share your naming traditions more important to you than the rest of their resume?

August 17, 2010 3:00 PM

My mother-in-law is a high school teacher and she had a student last year named La-sha, and it was pronounced "La-dash-a." The student would get offended when someone was not sure how to pronounce her name.

I work at a public library and we have names such as Oranjello and Lemonjello as well as Abracadabra in our databases.

January 4, 2011 11:42 PM

Hey by any chance did you work at Island Lake summer camp?

November 15, 2015 10:37 PM
By Teddy (not verified)

I guess the person who said wearing a "weird name" to a job interview is like wearing a goofy necktie doesn't realize that this type of name discrimination is rooted in racism. Romel is less likely to be white and the employer would prefer to hire someone who is.