The Hottest Baby Names of 2010?

With half of the year behind us, it's time to check in with our friends at BabyNameWizard.com for a baby name trend report. We know that Jacob and Isabella are the reigning king and queen of American baby names. But what's coming up next?

To answer that question, BabyNameWizard.com tracked the names that hundreds of thousands of name-searching parents looked for most. They've given us an exclusive peek at the hottest names of 2010 so far -- the names that rose the fastest from a year ago. The fast risers might not be common now, but we're likely to hear more from them in the years to come.

The #1 fastest rising girl's name is Tenley, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Kinley, Tinsley and Kinsley also made the top 20. Together, they point to a signature sound for the year's baby girls. Also keep an eye out for Everly, which placed two different spellings in the top 20.

For boys, the country's love affair with "-n" names is set to continue. More than half of the hottest rising boy's names end in that super-popular letter. Look for a fresh crop of surname names, too, especially luxurious ones like Sterling, St. John and Bentley.

The top 20 fastest rising boy's and girl's names are below. If you're afraid that your favorite names are rising too fast, check out the list of secret hit baby names that are more popular than they appear, and these appealing alternatives to the new hit names.

FASTEST-RISING GIRL'S NAMES

17. Dawson
18. Kayden
19. Lennon
20. Dorian

Comments

July 19, 2010 4:43 PM
By Elisabeth@YCCII (not verified)

Now this IS telling. Tenley, Tinsley, Kinley, Kinsley, Everly, Everleigh, Ever and Leighton. They're practically the same name! Ursula is shocking to me. Love that, Eloise and Charlotte.

The boys' list has a bit more diversity.

July 19, 2010 5:15 PM
By GeorgiaPeach (not verified)

I'm assuming St. John is pronounced "sin-jun" instead of "saint john"... I think that'd be taking the last name craze a little too far otherwise.

July 19, 2010 10:41 PM

Some of these names have been steadily declining in use for years. Just because they are searched for doesn't mean they are suddenly being used often.

July 20, 2010 12:06 PM
By Angela (not verified)

I love the name Ursula. A little boost in the popularity department couldn't hurt. Usually, people warn me against it because of the sea-witch in The Little Mermaid. (My first association is a character from the musical Bye Bye Birdie.)

July 20, 2010 2:00 PM

Holy cow those boys names are Mad Men names! St. John, Sterling, Leland...

July 20, 2010 2:20 PM

Rising doesn't say much. I doubt many of these are going to be what you'd call common. I mean, they have to rise, right? Because they can't exactly fall. This entry isn't giving me enough facts.

July 20, 2010 2:23 PM
By eau (not verified)

barf

July 20, 2010 3:49 PM
By Kate (not verified)

I love that Dashiell is rising! Reminds me of Dashiell Hammett of The Maltese Falcon glory and the hard-boiled Noir detectives that he helped create. I feel like it's a very strong name with some very strong connections.

July 20, 2010 5:06 PM

I agree with you, eau. Not much there that I would like as a baby name, especially the girls. The boys have a few, Eoin, Mikah & Callen, but that's about it. As a guest teacher, I see a lot of unusual names, but I haven't seen very many from these lists.

July 20, 2010 7:56 PM
By Jenna (not verified)

almost all celebrity names! its amazing how much primetime television effects the names of the future generations. Personally, I don't like many of the names listed above, but, hey! everyone has different taste!

July 20, 2010 8:40 PM
By Carrie (not verified)

Sookie and Castiel are both characters in popular tv shows right now (True Blood & Supernatural). I wonder if people are actually considering them as names, or just looking them up out of curiousity?

July 20, 2010 9:48 PM
By Ridiculous!!!!! (not verified)

Most of these names are absolutely ridiculous... I cannot imagine cursing a child with most of these names, especially St, John!! I mean come on, that's quite a stretch. Parents need to stop focusing on their own selfish desires when naming their baby. It's not a race for the most "creative" parent, this is a serious matter. Your child will be forever attached to these names, and most of them wouldn't stand. I personally wouldn't take someone seriously who was named Tinsley or Bentley...

July 20, 2010 10:44 PM
By Jennifer (not verified)

This data is coming from Baby Name Wizard, which gets it's info from the Social Security Administration. So this is based on actual babies being named this - not hits or searches on a website.

July 21, 2010 1:22 AM
By Debbie (not verified)

"But what's coming up next? To answer that question, BabyNameWizard.com tracked the names that hundreds of thousands of name-searching parents looked for most."

That's exactly what they've done. I would agree with the person who wonders how many people are actually considering these names, and how many are just curious after hearing on a t.v. show (Tenley was the runner-up on the last season of The Bachelor... I also wondered what that name was all about and might have looked it up for that reason).

July 21, 2010 9:03 AM
By Kristina (not verified)

St. John (pronounced Sinjin) was a character in Jane Eyre...he wanted Jane to marry him, but she couldn't accept his proposal because she was truly in love with Mr. Rochester. (Whose first name is Edmund...now there is a name waiting to make a comeback!!)
The professional beach volleyball player, Sinjin Smith, was actually born Christopher St. John Smith, but goes by his middle and (obviously) spells it phonetically.
I love that Castiel is on the list (love, love, love Supernatural!), but I don't think I would ever consider it as a baby name. :)

July 22, 2010 3:44 AM

Anonymous Guest Teacher - you're not hearing them because they are risers for 2010 and therefore not children of a school-age. These are names parents RIGHT NOW are curious about. If any take off, I'd give them a good 5 years. I could see something like Tinsley debuting next year in the 600s or something low, then creeping for a few years like Harper, Finley, Hayden, even Madison.

July 22, 2010 3:45 AM

To clarify - in the way names like Harper and Madison have done that. Not that they are just now rising.

July 22, 2010 9:29 AM
By zach (not verified)

boys name like sterling, lennon & bentley sound matured enough for a boys

July 22, 2010 9:10 PM
By Payton (not verified)

is barfing a name on the list?

July 22, 2010 11:02 PM

Double barf. Horrible, cruel, stupid names. Made up or taken from TV shows. Ugh. Except for Charlotte. That's lovely.

July 23, 2010 4:54 AM
By Ashlee (not verified)

Yikes! My Daughters name keeps showing up on lists in 2010, I picked it so it wouldn't show up... Although it spelled the traditional Lorelei. (she's a 2009 baby)

July 25, 2010 2:28 PM
By JoyceJoann (not verified)

I would agree that just because people search a name, doesn't mean they plan on using it.
A bunch of these names are TV names, and if I hear a strange name that I'd never heard before, I'd look it up.
I've searched the name Sookie, not because I would even consider the name for my baby, but because I wondered where it came from. I wouldn't bet on many of these names making the top 50.

July 26, 2010 8:37 PM
By Julie (not verified)

Sookie??? I know it's from True Blood, but I'm sorry, I think of a cow every time I hear this name. And how on earth would anybody pronounce Eoin? Don't get me started on St. John/Sinjin.

I'm kind of in love with Lennon. Much as I would love (in an alternate universe, perhaps?) to name my daughter McCartney.

July 27, 2010 2:34 AM

yikes half my girls names are there. Lorelei, Charlotte and Eloise.I thought I was being very original with old yet underused pretty names. I really wanted everly or eveleigh as a middle name but thought it sounded made up. Very happy to hear that its becoming common, I might use it now. I wonder if the internet and the access to info on names is effecting the rate at which names come in and out? Is it going to get to the point where people will know your very exact age according to your name?

July 27, 2010 2:36 AM

hhaha maybe its me contantly looking at my favourite names eloise, charlotte, Lorelei and everly. Im messing with the numbers??????

July 27, 2010 5:21 PM
By Linnaeus (not verified)

No, I've heard a lot of Lorelei, Charlotte, and Eloise lately. Charlotte especially. It's definitely not just one person.

July 28, 2010 8:32 AM

Too funny... Our downstairs neighbors just had their second girl - her name is Charlotte. Their first daughter is about 2 years old and her name is Lila (Which I'm sure would have been on a very similar list when she was born)- This family surely seems to be riding the trend wave! ;)

July 31, 2010 2:20 PM

I'd guess people are looking up these names out of playfulness (or horrified curiosity) rather than serious intent.

May 18, 2011 4:28 PM

we named our baby Everly and think its a beautiful and cool name. all the names from the past are sooooo boring!

June 27, 2011 11:57 PM

Our daughter is due any day and her name is Everly. I knew she wouldn't be the only one (I stole the name from a popular blog and there is a book character with the name as well), but was shocked when I saw a little girl with the same name but spelled differently just one town over from where we live. She might be the only one in her class, but I'm guessing not the only one in her school by the time she gets to elementary

August 30, 2012 3:16 AM
By Andre (not verified)

I was in trouble because i required baby name list and i cannot find some superior name so at this point me select very useful information, thanks for solving my problem. Short Love Poems