My Daughter's Name Matches Her Birthday!

Our favorite girl's name, the only one we can agree on, is June. We picked it before we got pregnant and now we are due in June! Is it too tacky to name your child after the month she is born in? - June Mom

I've received questions like this many times...in reverse. The usual refrain is "Can we name our daughter April even if she's born in September?" Parents worry that a mismatched month is confusing, or inappropriate, or even false advertising.

Yet here you sit with the happy coincidence of your baby's birth month matching the name you chose. And instead of high-fiving over your good luck, you're worrying that the month match is "tacky."

I do get where you're coming from. You're afraid that the name you chose as a gentle classic will come across as a gimmick instead. Well, you can rest easy. Ninety-nine percent of the people June meets in her lifetime won't know or care when she was born. The coincidence that looms so large as your due date approaches will quickly fade as your daughter grows up.

The key factor is that June really is a classic name. A girl named October or November can expect to be asked about her name's origins for the rest of her life. June, though, sits so comfortably as a name that it requires no explanation. (When you meet a Faith or a Lily do you ask about her parents' religious beliefs, or their gardening skills?)

So choose your favorite name in comfort. I think you'll find that most people will greet the name June as a very pleasant surprise, any time of year.

Comments

December 28, 2010 12:12 AM
By Nicole (not verified)

I'm glad to see this question because I have been wondering the same thing in reverse. We're considering August for a boy, but wonder if people will recognize it as a name and not just a month. Reactions so far have been mixed. Even though it is a classic name, it isn't as widely recognized as May or June. Any opinions? I'm really torn...

December 28, 2010 12:33 PM
By Susan (not verified)

I think August is cool for a boy name. It has some built in nicknames that are great too - Gus and Augie. I say go for it Nicole! I'd also stop floating the name and just use it. Someone will always give you a negative opinion of any name you pick.

December 30, 2010 4:19 PM

I'm with Susan, Nicole. I went to high school with a guy named August, and no one ever thought his name was weird.

January 1, 2011 9:47 PM
By Amy (not verified)

For my two cents, June sounds lovely, and gives your daughter the ability to combat the silly schoolyard qustion of "err... so were you born in June or something?" with "Actually, yes." That sounds to me like an advantage! Although dont pin your heart on the coincidence too much - a baby due in June could be born early (in May) or late (which could fall in July, depending when you're due)! But there's no harm in naming her June anyway!
Also, in regard to the name August for a boy, i think it's a good boys name - a little different, but still easy to spell & pronounce and fairly masculine, but i have to confess that the first thing i thought of was the unpleasant character from Charlie & the Chocolate Factory named 'Augustus Gloop'!

January 4, 2011 10:29 PM
By Paula (not verified)

Country singer Garth Brooks' second daughter is named August because that's the month in which she was conceived!

January 5, 2011 2:09 PM

I love the name August for a boy! the month of August is after all named for a person, the Roman Caesar, Augustus [also known as Octavius] (heir of Julius Caesar) - but any way - I love the name because it has a light breezy, dare I say, summery, quality to it. it has a strength but not a in your face sort of strength, just a simply understated strength - which is lovely I think - unfortunately it reminds me of a not so great character in John Crowley's novel Little, Big - and the movie August Rush. and I love the NN Augie for a boy or girl.

oh and June is a lovely name too, for any girl born in or out of the month of June! I totally agree with the Name Lady's commentary on the name

January 6, 2011 12:16 AM
By Marbles (not verified)

Our son was born in August and we gave him the middle name Augustus. I really love it, along with August and Augustine. Go for it!

January 9, 2011 4:52 PM

Please don't choose this name for your baby! I am a highschooler and I used to have a boyfriend named August (born in October), but that is irrelivent. All the boys in middle school would make fun of him because of his name. And when he tried to switch it to Gus they called him "sug" (gus backwards) or "suggy" or an other similar, eqauly as stupid nickname. Please don't name your son this because I don't want him to suffer the same way. It's not the birthmonth that is the problem with "August", it is the name itself.

January 10, 2011 1:55 PM

No offence to the high school anonymous, but not picking a perfectly normal name because you might get teased is sort of silly (or maybe I'm just touchy because my son's name is Gus). Everyone gets teased for things, and it doesn't matter what your name is. My son's been called Pus Gus, and he doesn't care, because it knows it's just stupid. I was teased for both my first & last names (and they are the most boring, common names you could imagine)in middle school, but that's just what middle schoolers do.

If someone is going to get bent out of shape because they got called "Sug," that's pretty immature. And trust me, life will get a lot worse if you can't even handle that.

January 11, 2011 1:49 PM
By with an E (not verified)

Just FYI--I think June is zooming up the charts. I know 3 baby Junipers, all using June as a nickname. I'm sure their parents thought they were being original.

January 11, 2011 2:15 PM
By Anne-onymous (not verified)

To Nicole:

What about Augustus? I think most people would recognize that as an established name...

Are you planning to call your son Gus for short? Or will he always be August? (Just curious).

January 11, 2011 3:15 PM
By Nicole (not verified)

Augustus is a possibility, but it's just a tad too formal for us. We like Gus or Augie as nicknames.

January 16, 2011 4:14 PM

I don't think it's Tacky, I think it's weird! I can't say I dig June to being with. I am really really picky about names. My friends joke that I have OCD about it. This makes my "OCD" twitch.

January 31, 2011 11:06 AM
By Allison (not verified)

I can't stand it when people use month/holiday names and they child wasn't born then.

EI: I know a girl named Noelle who was born in May! May!!!! Why use a name that specifically means Christmas when she was born 5 months later?

My middle name is Noelle - and I was born on Christmas Day. It works...

So please, use June with confidence! It's a gorgeous name and I love that she will be born in June as well!

February 4, 2011 8:12 AM
By April (not verified)

My name is April, and I am born in April.

Trust me, people *do* care about the birthday... if anything, as a novelty. After introducing myself, 9 times out of 10 they'll ask me when my birthday is. It's been this way my whole life, no matter where I've lived.

But it's SO MUCH better to be April in April (or June in June) than another month born in the "wrong" month. People are satisfied when you say, "yes, I was born in my namesake" and stop the questions. If you say no, then more questions come.

They're innocent questions that mean no harm, but when you're asked the same thing all the time, it gets really, really old.

February 4, 2011 1:15 PM

Please don't stress out over a name. Your child should be named what you want them to be named. I named my daughter Tegan (pronounced like reagan or meagan) for two reasons. 1) I actually wanted to name her Segan and 2) her father wanted all of his children to have the same initials as him which is TNB. So Tegan was my choice. It turned out that his two daughters from a previous relationship had the middle name Nicole which is also my middle name, so it was easy for me to give the same middle name to Tegan as well. However, my due date was scheduled for the first week in November so there was a chance that she would come in the latter part of October. Many friends and family discouraged me saying that if my daughter is born in October and I named her Tegan then she would be teased for the rest of her life because people would somehow associate her birth and name with Halloween and call her Pagan Tegan. Others just thought the name was weird and questioned it. However, I simply told them " When you have your baby, you name them what you want and leave the naming of my baby to me" I never waivered and I never reconsidered. Tegan was the name I had chosen and it was going to be her name no matter what. Now that she is two, when people ask her name, they compliment me on how cute and unique it is and even ask me the meaning of her name (it means beautiful or fair by the way). Her nickname is even cute (Tiggy). I am so proud of my baby's name and I have come across two mothers to be who have actually asked me if it would be okay if they used my daughters name for their unborn daughters. That has been the biggest compliment of all.

February 8, 2011 7:03 PM
By shadelit (not verified)

I have a relative named June, who was born in fall. It's a gentle, classic name and I've always liked it, now it's got retro style as well.

I went to college with a guy named August, he normally went by Gus amongst his buddies but introduced himself as August to attractive girls because it would sometimes spark their curiosity or become a conversational topic. I thought the name suited him well as it was an interesting mixture of grand, old-fashioned, quirky, and funky. I proposed it for my own son, although he was not due in that month. In fact my husband and I put Augustus on our boy's list.

Agree with previous posters who point out that virtually no name is foolproof against schoolyard teasing. It's not good asking for trouble with something wildly inappropriate or super-easily rhymed with something naughty, for example, but it's normal for kids to have to take a little ribbing one way or another and you just can't live your life in fear of it.

February 9, 2011 7:44 PM

I don't think it matters when the baby is born when picking a name like June, April, May, etc. June always sounded like a nice semi traditional girls name.
And as for the name August. I love it! We don't know what our second child is yet but we've picked Autumn for a girl- even if she comes early in August. And now that I see the name August for a boy I'm probably going to mention it to my husband because it sounds very masculine to me. Definitly reminds me of the Roman Augustus, but I would personally pick the shorter August.

June 22, 2011 3:11 PM
By Alicia (not verified)

Re: Months - Look at the month names that are commonly used. April, May and June are the spring months of the year, with beautiful weather and flowers blooming. I think that's what makes these names popular - the baby is a symbol of new life and spring, whether she arrived in the spring or not (likewise the connotations of Noelle transcend the date).

Re: August - In addition to a month that was named after a Roman man, august is a word that means respected. So it doesn't really need to enter into the month-name discussion if that's not what you're going for.