Will Everybody Hate This Name?

I am having a daughter in three weeks, and my husband and I decided to name her Idabelle Fae. When I told people this, it seemed as if they were making fun of the name. Should I still name her that?

-- Lucy

I am currently expecting my first child. If it’s a girl, I really want to name her Ramona after my grandmother. Upon soliciting others' opinions, I got fairly mixed reviews. The negative reactions mostly stemmed from the "moan" part of the name or that it sounded too old-fashioned. What do you think of the name? Should I just go ahead with it?
-- Allison

It looks like focus groups have moved from the marketing department to the nursery. And why not? If film studio execs can rely on panels to amp up the laughs in a comedy, and car manufacturers can use them to choose features for a new convertible, why shouldn’t parents turn to the wisdom of the crowd to help choose their children’s names? Aren’t twenty or thirty opinions more reliable than two or three?

There are times when it’s invaluable to listen to the crowd. If literally everyone you speak to looks horrified by your future child’s name, it’s worth considering whether there’s something off-putting about your choice that you haven’t noticed. Perhaps the name carries a connotation that would weigh your child down.

But focus groups have their drawbacks too, in business and in naming. Very few things in this world are universally loved. (Air, water, and vanilla ice cream? Maybe Audrey Hepburn?) When a movie tries to please everyone, the results are often bland and formulaic. Aiming for the automotive common denominator has given us cars in four shades of gray.

The same is true with naming. Can you imagine if every new baby born in America received a focus group-approved name? “Isabella and Jacob, meet Isabella and Jacob.” Yes, they’d all fit in well, but we’d all miss the diversity that comes from going out on a limb. I’m glad to see both the familiar and the exotic in my naming landscape.

So keep your focus groups in perspective. It’s easy to overreact to negative responses, because they pack an emotional wallop. If you polled ten people, how many wrinkled noses did you really see? If it was only one or two, that’s pretty much inevitable with any unusual and strongly styled name. If it was eight or nine, it’s time to accept that your favorite name may cross the line from unconventional to unappealing, which isn’t fair to your child. In between you’ll have to weigh the tradeoffs, realizing that the more a name stands out, the stronger reactions to it will be, both good and bad.

Comments

February 10, 2012 8:23 PM
By Elisabeth (not verified)

I can't resist adding my two cents, since I don't think anyone else has mentioned it.

When I say "Idabelle" out loud, it sounds like "I da belle", as in "I da man". (Who da man? I da man! Who da belle? Me! I da belle!)

Maybe I'm a total wingnut for having this internal dialogue going on in my head, but there it is. Idabelle looks cute on paper, but invites ridicule when said out loud.

Fae is fine, and Ramona is fine (reminds me of the children's book series with the fiesty protagonist Ramona).

February 10, 2012 9:06 PM
By AndiPrice (not verified)

My deceased mother-in-law was named Idabelle and she was as country as cornbread. I remember having to hide my amusement each time she asked to go to 'the Kmart'. That name will forever be in league with Brooksie Odell (a great-grandmother), and Beulah May (a great-aunt), in my brain... and Fae/Fay/Faye is an outdoor toilet frequently found on construction sites. Unlike those who say, 'If you love it, go with it,' I say, 'Can Ida, Belle and Fae and start in a whole new direction. Being female has enough hurdles without getting tagged with a name that causes people to tilt their heads or hide a grin... and how many of us are really fortunate enough to be beautiful and confident?? When I began this thread, my first reaction to Idabelle Fae was that it was a joke. Give your new daughter a break... and a less provocative name.

February 12, 2012 7:52 PM

Ramona is a terrible sounding name. No offense, but it's not sing-song. Of course non-sing-song names make those that are sound that way. The "moan-a" part is a problem I think to English ears. I suggest that you don't think too much and wait until the child is born---then name her with the first name that comes to mind. I like my name and it's various meanings in different languages. It think it rings true for me. There are so many forgotten names like: Maude, Dagmar, Fallon, Rhianna, someone mentioned Maeve, Jezebel! why not. Josephine (My middle name) Beatrix (Trixie for short!) Brenda, Dahlia, so many. Good luck!

February 15, 2012 12:38 PM

Idabelle- ick. Idabelle Fae- oh my word, no. Unless you love the hillbilly, redneck sound, in which case- perfect!

Ramona- My husband dislikes for the moan reason, too, but I think it's a sweet name, and one people would find themselves loving when it's actually on the baby.

February 15, 2012 1:42 PM
By Angela Dawn (not verified)

I like Romona, and don't have a problem with Idabelle, but I like Ida better. And the commenters who pointed out that Idabelle will constantly be mis-typed as Isabelle make a very valid point.

With that out of the way...

As far as the Name Lady's comments about focus group decision making - they are very sensible. I just want to add, I would ignore the opinions of friends and family. They are too close to you, and you will take their opinions personally. Plus the older generation, your parents' generation, probably still loves names like Amy and Kelly - what they named their own kids.

To get a more accurate assessment of how a name will come across to the general public, especially your peers, I would post on name message boards - since everyone (or almost everyone) is a stranger. That way you get an idea of how the name comes across, but don't have to worry about taking anything personally.

February 15, 2012 2:12 PM
By Alison (not verified)

I have to join the chorus and say Idabelle would be a rough name to go through life carrying. Like someone above said, I hear "I the belle" when I read it. Even if you end up calling her Ida or Belle at the beginning of every school year it would be trotted out and would be fodder for teasing. Eh.

But I like Ramona. Sadly, since I am a reality t.v. junkie it reminds me of Ramona of the Real Housewives first and Ramona Quimby second, but sounds like a fun, spunky girl.

February 16, 2012 9:00 PM
By Taylor (not verified)

Gotta say, I agree with the majority. I'd name my next daughter Ramona in a heartbeat--love! The quirky Cleary character only adds to the charm of the name.
And as mom to an Annabel who gets called Isabelle fairly frequently, Idabelle is really asking for mistaken identity. But I do like Ida and Fay/Faye (Fae reminds me of fairies, I wouldn't use it unless you REALLY like fairies). I think using one of those would keep the antique/unusual vibe you seem to be drawn to.

February 17, 2012 2:12 PM
By Rosy (not verified)

I think the real problem with Idabelle is everyone is going to Isabelle and the child will spend forever correcting people. Ida Fae is very cute!

I don't have any negative or positives about Ramona. I don't like it but I don't hate it. I grew up with a Romana (Ro mon a) and that is very close but just enough difference to change the sound. It's a thought.

February 17, 2012 2:12 PM
By Rosy (not verified)

*call her Isabelle. I should proofread. :)

March 1, 2012 10:42 PM

you people are on crack idabelle fae i one of the best girl names i've herd in a long time it's weird but thats good you love your child she isn't like all the other kids to you so you shouldn't give her a name thats the same as the other kids

March 6, 2012 3:30 PM
By Brittany (not verified)

I don't know why so many people are being so mean, verging on rude!

I personally like Idabelle Fae, but I agree with the other commenter who suggested Ida Fae. I think it's a name that your daughter could grow into. And personally, I think that's a far better situation than to be stuck with a name that's too young and of a specific, recent, era (like Brittany...).

If you've got a good nn for when she's young, go for it.

March 9, 2012 7:15 PM

I love Idabelle! It sounds like a lot of people don't like it, and that's their opinion, but it would also mean that most people might not like it. Maybe you could have Ida Belle? Then your daughter could choose Ida or Belle, and it might counteract some of the negative feedback.
On the other hand, I don't care much for Ramona. It reminds me too much of the book, and then I'd be thinking about a clumsy, accident-prone, sometimes a little bratty, old-fashioned girl. I like the Ramona books, but think the name should stay with them.

March 19, 2012 9:13 AM
By Rebekah W. (not verified)

Once you name your child, people will start to associate the name with your baby, and it will lose any connotations" it may have had in their minds. I like Idabelle, personally, I think it is much better that the popular Isabelle, and she has many more nicknames (btw, LOVE Ida). Fae is how I would spell the name if I heard it--I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Ramona is beautiful (love the books), but hard to nn, which isn't a problem necessarily, unless it is. :D

March 22, 2012 10:36 AM

Mmm... Idabelle sounds like you are trying to say Isabelle, but you have a bad cold. Ramona is lovely though. If you want a unusual name, try Frankie, McKenzie, Ocean or Coral.

March 30, 2012 4:00 PM
By Charlene (not verified)

I am not a fan of either Ramona or Idabelle Fae. I can't go by the sound of the names, but on paper, Ramona does not look pretty. I prefer the Mona than the Ramona, but I do love the Beverly Cleary books, though. As for Idabelle, I would change it to Idalize Fae. Or Idalize Faye. It's different enough, and more prettier. I named my daughter Izabelia.

May 18, 2012 9:46 PM
By Ramona N (not verified)

My name is Ramona. I hated it growing up because everyone shortened it to "Mona". My family nicknamed me "Mony" (like the song "Mony Mony". I've had references made to the book "Ramona" going up but eventually that died down. Honestly, I LOVE my name now. I guess I hated it because so many people had simple names and mine always stood out but then, I stood out, not just my name. I'm 51 years old now and wouldn't trade names for anything. I think Ramona Isabelle would be a lovely name. Good luck to you.

May 18, 2012 9:47 PM
By Ramona N (not verified)

I meant Ramona Idabelle or Ramona Belle...not Isabelle, although that works too

May 27, 2012 6:11 PM

Someone (not the person originally asking advice) added the name "Ramona" in a comment ... My father liked the name "Bruna" and fortuneately my mother won out (my husband said he would never have gone on our first "blind" date with a name like Bruna). That said, DEAR NEW PARENT, You name your baby whatever you choose to and spell it however you wish to. And even more importantly, you will know this baby better than anyone else ... in raising your baby, listen to your pediatrician and your own good common sense.

June 20, 2012 6:57 AM
By PB Sterling (not verified)

Idabelle and Ramona are neat names. I like to see older names used for young people. A few weeks ago, my family was eating at Hooters. Our waitress was a charming girl named "Hortense".

It worked.

June 20, 2012 9:13 AM
By Ramonasmom (not verified)

As you can see, we love Ramona! Actually she's a granddaughter. My 28 year old daughter's middle name is Fae, so I'm loving that, too. Just be sure that they go with the last name, too.

June 20, 2012 11:21 AM
By Nana26 (not verified)

I think Idabelle is sweet. Perfect little southern girl name. And Romana is also nice. Much better than all those made up names and quirky Hollywood names!

June 20, 2012 11:24 AM
By Nana26 (not verified)

Sorry. "Ramona"

June 20, 2012 6:52 PM

My children all have "old " fashioned names. My grandmother once asked me how I could give them old man name and my reply was how do you think those old men got their names? Some names are tried and true!

July 10, 2012 12:57 AM
By just trying to help (not verified)

First off, I applaud you for having the courage to ask for the opinions of total strangers on the internet, especially when it concerns something as important to you as the name(s) you intend to give your children. Remember, the names you give your children will be used most often by family, friends, future classmates/coworkers and future teachers/bosses. That being said, I agree with some of the opinions I see already posted here (I couldn't bear to read them all) and I myself ended up naming our little girl with a semi-unusual name, Arabelle. The only problem we had with it, once we decided on it, was that no one sure which way we wanted it pronounced until we told them.
What is important, though, is that the name you choose fits the personality and/or some other aspect of your child, and who knows your child better than you, having cared for said child from the beginning? Being prepared for any future taunts by others, based on the child's name, and keeping in mind the meaning(s) of the name is important, as well as the 'flow' of the name, but ultimately it is about how you (the parents) and your child will feel about the name.
Idabelle Fae seems a bit clunky to me when it is put together. I agree that Ida and Belle might be fine, as well as alternatives such as Idabella, Isabelle, Isabella, Arabelle, Arabella, Annabelle, Anabella, etc. However, consider this: when I first saw the name Idabelle, I immediately had two reactions: that you had accidentally hit the letter 'd' instead of 's', or that children would tease the poor kid by emphasizing the pronunciation of 'I dah belle' (I/eye the bell). The problem mostly lies in the fact that 'Ida' is both old fashioned and tends to have the slightly negative connotation that is quite similar to 'Ima' (I'm a...). 'Belle', on the other hand, tends to remind people of the woman in 'Beauty and the Beast', as her name was Belle and the song (in the Disney cartoon version) specifically says 'her name means beauty'. As far as I know, many people in the last few generations, especially anyone who has seen the movie, will associate names with 'Belle' in them as having a connotation of 'Beauty'. Many will also think of someone who lives in the southern part of the United States, especially around the areas of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Georgia, when they hear anything that ends with 'belle'. As for the name 'Fae', I think it sounds fine, but again, I think most people would associate it with fairies, or 'the Fae People' of Ireland and surrounding areas.
As for Ramona, I can think of at least two different pronunciations of the name. I do not think either is terrible, just that you should consider that not all people would automatically think of 'Rah-moan-ah' as in the childrens' books character. The other pronunciation I know of I easily associate with Doctor Who, a British television series that started in November of 1963 and was recently brought back around 2005. In the era of the fourth Doctor, played by Tom Baker in the latter half of the 1970s, he had a companion who was a female Time Lord whose name was shortened to Romana. This name was often pronounced 'Ro-mahn-ah', and though it is not quite the same name, it is very similar to the pronunciation of 'Rah-mohn-ah'.
I'm sure that you'll make a decision you won't regret because you love your child so much, but please keep these points in mind.

July 12, 2012 2:26 PM
By GrownUp (not verified)

Here in the US, the name Idabelle Fay carries a lot of negative baggage. A person with that name would probably be from the South, and they would probably have slave roots.

Not sure where you live but that would be the perception here in the US.

On the other hand, the Irish name Ika is similar but without the baggage of the "Belle" suffix.

Also consider Isabelle, which is infinitely more sophisticated than "Idabelle".

July 23, 2012 10:50 AM

whether or not you love the name, your first thought should be "will my baby love her name?" if there is a question at all, if there is a possibility that your child will be confused, teased, or any negative aspect of her life will be caused by a name that you pick out for "you" and not for "her." then you should NOT pick that name. it seems that many parents, mother's specifically what to give their baby the new "best" name, rather than focusing on the impact that names have on their children. make sure you give your daughter a name that she can always be proud of, that will make her be confident in who she is and who you wanted her to be. if you go with idabelle, you might as well name her poo-poo bean, because she will appreciate that name about the same.... as a woman who grew up in an era of "Amy, Jessica, Jennifer, Lauren, Brandy, Sarah, etc) my name was totally off the charts, and I remember always hating that. As an adult, when you find out why you have a name that is so different, it makes more sense, but as a child, you just don't understand WHY your parents, people that are supposed to LOVE you, would give you something that will possible hurt you someday...

August 2, 2012 5:05 PM
By Jorjie (not verified)

They are you daughters names if they work for you and you feel the are fitting for your child than that is 'the' name. We have a 14 month old and the name game was tough for me too. I decided not to announce a name (or pick one) until I met my daughter. I truly felt I wanted to know her and pick a name that 'fit' her. We had a list of names, some liked by others some not liked by others but all of them names we would be happy to give our daughter had they fit her. Our goals; easy to spell and say, Not a top 10 name. Her name Maya, Maya Mackinnzie and we call her Mack! By the way my given name is Lindsay and their were 5 Lindsay's in my grade in school by 14 I had changed my first name to Jorjie (Georgie) which was a nick name from my grandfather. I now have 5 names 1- first, 2 middle, 2 last so there are always options if your child really wants a change. I do recommend go with what your heart tells you when you see your baby, no one else's opinion matters.

August 2, 2012 5:15 PM
By Anonymous

If raised properly your child's name will not determine their confidence or worth. And kids if they want to tease you they will no matter what your name is. Yeah sure some names make it easier than others but to tell a woman the name she loves is like naming her child poo poo, come on, that was just rude. By the way my given name is Lindsay and I hated it to the point of changing it. Just because you go top 10 on the naming list doesn't guarantee a happy child. You can not guess if there is a possibility that your child will not like their name it just is something that has to play out. As a mother you must do what you think is best and not spend your day second guessing every parenting decision you make

August 3, 2012 6:11 PM
By jackie (not verified)

If you ladies are still reading this i would like to let you all know. It doesn't matter if other people like the names or not. I have 4 children and I have unusual spellings for all of them and even one unique name you will probly never hear.I will prove it . Her are all four of my childrens names.

1)Satana
2)Zechariah Mykel
3)Jerimaih Alixandr
4)Shyanne
And you know what I love all of there names not only because they are my children but because I know all there names are unique and not comman names.

August 6, 2012 5:15 PM
By Virginia (not verified)

Names - in middle school the prepubescent boys called me "virgin" and asked if I was one, oftentimes several times a week. Embarrassed totally by that. So a name as common as that can be a source of discomfort for a child.

My best friend in high school - named for her mother - Thelma. My friend was gorgeous. Thank God she had a middle name of Jean so could be called Jeannie.

My cousin - named for her mother Beulah. Thankfully had a middle name of Marie which she could use.

All these are perfectly good, solid names, used for hundreds of years. Yet---stuck on a beautiful little girl can bring misery, heartache and embarrassment. THINK carefully before naming a child, boy or girl.

Idabelle - reminds me of granny calling "Ellie Mae" on the Beverly Hillbillies. Here in the south, Idabelle would not be looked upon kindly. And that's putting it mildly. Unless you're a celebrity and can name your child Apple or Orange and take the heat, don't.

August 14, 2012 2:22 PM

As a Brit I have absolutely no bumpkin connotation with Idabelle - it's pretty and to me has at least as much going for it as Ida, Belle, Bella or Isabelle which are all fairly popular here(Isabelle is enormously popular Isabella even more so I can see what people are saying about it getting confused with that). It does sound a bit old fashioned but to me that is in no way a bad thing. Fay/Fae is lovely and perennial, though it was probably more popular here 10/20 or 30 years ago I still hear it.

Ramona, I kind of imagine to be a bit of a rocker but it's a Spanish name right? So also has associations with beautiful dark haired dancing women which can't be bad.

I completely agree with what others have said about keeping names to yourself. Once your child is named officially it is a fait accompli and people simply have to accept it - they see it in a different way once it is the name of a little person they are really meeting. I can think of two names I objectively hate but which are the names of my friends children and when applied to them I view them in a totally different way. So go for it! - the majority of people will not splutter "What!?" when you tell them!

August 18, 2012 4:27 AM
By Niamh (not verified)

Stop listening to everyone else, the name is yours and your partners business, so keep it to yourselves until u meet ur baby, then u can see what suits her! Don't mind the mean spirited commentators!

August 31, 2012 12:46 PM

I would like to know what names were chosen by the moms. I think both were cute and I hope they went with what they loved and didn't let the negative comments effect their decisions.

September 4, 2012 8:15 PM

both are awful names.

September 12, 2012 10:49 AM

Call your child what you will. Our daughter is named April -- not because she was born in April because we did not want to name her after anyone we knew.
Thus, offending no one by omission. A psychologist professor met me one day with April and asked her name. She had the best comment: "Ah, she is the springtime of your life." Had a friend say it was a horrible name -- alas, our friendship ended not to long after that.

September 15, 2012 9:52 AM

Sorry - I do not like either! Idabelle is rather clunky. Ramona just doesn't have a pleasant sound. I actually like Fae the best, but spelled "Faye". I have an aunt named Alice Faye and I think that is pretty.

September 19, 2012 11:39 AM
By Granma (not verified)

There was a girl in our high school named Mona. She was very popular, and when the boys saw her in the hall, they would all MOAN, loudly. I would say the name was not a detriment to her at all.

September 29, 2012 2:04 PM

During my teaching years, around 1975, I had a student named Myrtle Denise and her family called her that. I thought I would be doing Myrtle Denise a great favor by calling her Denise, but her grandmother, Myrtle, had a hissy fit, so I had to go back to Myrtle Denise. Fortunately, in my opinion, most of the kids had started calling her Denise and they did not change back. I just could not stand the thought of this precious little girl being called Myrtle.

It was a school board policy to call each child by his/her first name even if the family called them by their middle name. Being a kindergarten teacher, I entered the original information in my students' records. With the parents permission, if the child was called by a middle name, I filled out the records with M. Denise (for example), using the child's first initial and middle name.
My first name is Sylvia, after my mother, and I was glad not to be called that. As the years pass, it is not such a horrible name to me anymore, but I am still glad my family called me by my middle name.
I am sure there will be a lot of controversy over my decision to use the first initial and am interested in hearing what others have to say about it. Also, forever, I will think that I was doing Myrtle Denise a great favor by leaving off the Myrtle. For this, I apologize to all the happy Myrtles' of the world.
I hope Idabelle Fae doesn't live down south or she will be "Iderbelle," and I am sorry, but that is just one bad name.
In my opinion Ramona isn't much better and I am sure the kids will call her Mona. It is sad, but true, a bad name can greatly influence a childs' life and give them negative opinions about themselves. Can you imagine someone saying that they wanted you to date a gorgeous friend of theirs--Idabelle Fae?
She better hope her family nicknames her "Honey Boo Boo." :)

October 1, 2012 9:22 PM
By Kestrel (not verified)

Seriously? There are a few people who like the name Idabelle. Look at their comments very closely. There is a theme there.

Do NOT do it.

And just because people say that you should name her that because YOU love it - that's the worst advice of all! If you - the PARENTS - don't want to hear the criticism offered by strangers, how much more will the child suffer? She will be fighting that fight her whole life!

It's sounds redneck, hick and welfare. That is what people are trying to tell you.

Also, I hate Ramona because I knew one. She was a girl in my class that had 2 kids by Senior year amd was barely literate. The last time I saw her was when I went back to my hometown and she brought me the pizza I ordered. So....not so great, I say.

October 7, 2012 9:50 PM
By KonaKathie (not verified)

I completely agree- I said to myself, "I-da-Bell?" "Who da man?" I also pronounced it in my head like "Isabelle" with a D, which is not pretty in the least.

I just HATE Idabelle, but concur with suggestions about dividing it up as Ida Belle, or going with Fae.

October 11, 2012 9:37 AM

Ramona for latino people is not used too much, is more common in the farm, Ramon , Ramona, for me is awful, I'd never call my daugther Ramona

November 2, 2012 1:49 AM
By Lady Ashmire (not verified)

Just wanted to say, I am a bit shocked and saddened to see so many people who automatically assume an association with fairies would be a bad thing! Surely, you WANT a beautiful, magical being for your daughter? That said, I didn't particularly care for the sound of the name as a whole, either, and I'm fond of unusual names. I always wanted to have one of those Scandinavian or Russian names with a lot of 'k's in it, personally---Katerinkja or something! Anyway, these babies have been born by now, I wonder what the moms decided to do.

November 2, 2012 12:25 PM
By AnonymousWendy from hicktown! (not verified)

I have a great-grandma and a great aunt named Idabelle. I love it!! One went by Ida and the other was called Belle. My moms favorite aunt was named Isadora and I inlove with it. I didn't name my daughter that because a cousin used it first. However I was dead set on naming her Elora Danielle. I thought it would be perfect for her. When I told people my choice they made fun of it and then preceded to tell me what they were going to call her. My mom was p call her Lorie and his mom chose Ellie. I hated them both and felt offended and insulted. How dare they think they have the right to change my child's name!!! The day she was born we named her.Elaina(my middle is Elaine) and we call her Lanie. No one has a say in what you name your kid. I regret not naming her Elora now, so I say name her what you want and forget what everyone else says!

I really like Ramona too! I have a friend named that and she spells it Remona. The kids can't say her name, so everyone calls her Monie now. She is happy with both names!

Good Luck to you both :)

November 2, 2012 12:28 PM
By AnWendy from hicktown!p (not verified)

I love faeries and that's what Fae reminded me of :)

November 5, 2012 11:04 PM

Think about what your child will have to deal with having a name that people make fun of.

No parent wants their child to be bullied and IdaBelle will be bullied. It's just a mean thing to do to a child you are supposed to love.

I don't love the name Ramona but at least its a real name

November 11, 2012 2:53 PM

I have zero bad things to say of the name Idabelle Fae... 10 years ago I named my daughter Izabelle Farie. I just liked the Belle part, her dad wanted old fashioned so we said Isabelle and mom knew I wanted a twist on it so she suggested the Z instead of S... Thus Izabelle. Farie (pronounced Fairy) is actually a family name. It was my great aunt's and my great great grandmother's name. NO ONE has ever given my bad reviews of her name. Plus Idabelle could be split up if the child so chooses later on... she could go by Ida or Belle.

November 13, 2012 3:43 AM

I really don't care for Idabelle, but I think Annabelle is nice. Ramona is ok, but I like Sharona more.

November 16, 2012 12:03 AM
By Merritt (not verified)

I know this is old news now but I had to comment. Idabelle, not so much. Ramona, super cute and a lovely name to grow with.

Whatever you do decide to name your baby, (I know the baby has been born by now) keep a book with all the different names written down and all the names you've ever considered. I sit with my boys, the youngest is 12 now and they love to cuddle and look at that old note book and I tell them about each and every name I wrote down and what I was thinking and why I did name them what I did. We do this every now and then, about once a year. Like a story I tell them over and over. So even if you don't name her "Idabelle" you would have it written down in your hand writing and all the reasons why that name was special. That way, it's never gone if you chose to name her something else. You still can give it to her in a personal way...._Just sayin'