Name Our Future Coach!

My husband really wants to name our third and final child after an NFL football coach. He did this in naming our second, Landry, but I didn't know it until after he was born - I just liked the name! I am hoping we can find another name like Landry that we both love but maybe for different reasons. Our other son is named Cade. Any suggestions as to a boy name that is also the name of of NFL coach? Luckily, we have a girl name secured so we only have to think of a boy name now!
- Coach's Mom

So, your husband didn't mention that legendary coach Tom Landry was the inspiration for the name Landry? Not to be a tattletale, but that's not the only football name he slipped past you. Cade took a huge popularity leap in the late 1990s thanks to quarterback Cade McNown.

I'm glad to see you've taken his football name obsession with good humor. You smartly kept your eye on the real goal: finding names that both of you love. If that means stylish, contemporary names for you and gridiron dreams for your husband, so be it! You two make for a perfect case study in successful name compromise (and healthy relationships). Can you hit another home run -- sorry, make that score another touchdown -- like Landry?

Based on your past choices, you seem to prefer compact modern names with a surname style, and maybe a pinch of cowboy. On the model of Landry, your husband wants a longtime winning coach, wrapped up in the fabric of football history. Your requirements rule out Lombardi and Belichick; his rule out Turner and Tice. (Try suggesting that you name your son after losing coaches Norv Turner or Mike Tice, it should be good for a laugh.)

Only a handful of NFL coaching legends had names worth considering: Joe Gibbs, Chuck Knox, and John Madden. In the interests of compromise, would your husband consider looking in the college ranks? Bowden, Cooper, Hayden, Hayes and McKay have fashion potential.

Comments

September 30, 2013 10:51 AM
By Chrispy (not verified)

The current Cowboys coach is Jason Garrett - I think Garrett is a great name but as a coach he is kind of new. Joe Gibbs and Steve Owen are both coaches in the Football Hall of Fame. Gibbs or Owen would work as names. Madden and Knox aren't bad either.

You could always go with a first name, middle name combo.

September 30, 2013 11:17 AM

How about Grant as in Bud Grant, the former Minnesota Vikings coach?

September 30, 2013 11:38 AM
By Elisabeth at YCCII (not verified)

First thought is REX, after Rex Ryan. REID, Kansas City Chiefs.

Not a coach but BRADY would be perfect with Cade and Landry.

College level: TAGGART (South Florida), HAYNES (Kent State)

September 30, 2013 11:13 PM
By Jan K (not verified)

Some Hall of Fame coaches that could work:

George Allen 1966-1977
Bud Grant 1967-1983, 1985
Steve Owen # 1930-1953
Bill Walsh 1979-1988

None of them scream coach like Landry though...

October 1, 2013 11:56 AM

Well, Landry says "Stargate" to me! General Henry Landry was rather a nice character played by Beau Bridges.

October 1, 2013 12:24 PM
By court (not verified)

My favorite football name that hasn't really caught on is Major after former University of Texas quarterback Major Applewhite. He's now the offensive coach for UT. I also love previous suggestions of Garrett, Brady, and Reid!

October 1, 2013 1:10 PM
By Chelsea (not verified)

Other NFL coaches with interesting names
Earl Lambeau (you could hall him Beau, so cute)
Bill Walsh, Walsh is an interesting first name option.
Earle Neale

I have a nephew named Madden.

October 1, 2013 3:21 PM
By Stephanie (not verified)

I'm not big into football, but being from Iowa, my first thought was Hayden (if hubby's okay with a college coach rather than NFL), but I worry that it's too similar in sound to Cade. I have the same worry about Madden and Landry - personally, my tongue would trip over these two and end up coming out with 'Landen' all the time.

I think the previous suggestion of Grant is spot-on. Daddy will surely think of Bud, and Cade, Landry, and Grant make a perfect-sounding set of brothers, to my ear.

October 1, 2013 4:18 PM

If you name him "Gibbs", you'll probably get more people thinking about "NCIS" than football.

October 2, 2013 7:31 PM

If you're open to college, how about naming your little one about the greatest college coach of all time: Bear Bryant? Bryant gets that cowboy style and the winning record all rolled into one.

Cade, Landry and Bryant

October 3, 2013 5:20 PM
By Elizabeth (not verified)

Here in Alabama, there's only one football to rule them all: Bryant.

October 3, 2013 5:23 PM
By Elizabeth (not verified)

*football NAME, rather.

October 5, 2013 8:22 AM

Oh Lord, you must not be in Texas. Major has CERTAINLY caught on around these parts. I can think of at least three off the top of my head.