Is This Name Too Young For Me?

Is the name Charlotte just way too popular now to be used by a would-be name changer, born in the 1980s? I really don't want to date myself to the wrong era, or be thought to have chosen it BECAUSE it's popular now. (Charlotte has had a good run as a top-10 name in my home state of New South Wales, Australia.)

- Time Warper

Charlotte isn't a typical name for a 30-ishwoman, but why should it be? One of the joys of changing your name is that you get to choose a new identity that fits you and your taste today, not whatever your parents liked a generation ago. There's nothing wrong with being fashionable, or sharing your name with a younger set.

You're right, though, that some names can seem so unlikely for adults that they come across as "the wrong era." If you renamed yourself, say, Serenitee Myracle, people might well ask whether that's your real name. Even a traditional name like Olive could spark some surprise given your age. (Have you ever met an Olive born between 1950 and 2000?)

Charlotte is clearly no Serenitee. Even though it's the height of fashion today, everyone who hears it knows it's a classic. And unlike Olive, it never fully disappeared into old lady mode. When the tv series Sex and the City introduced a character named Charlotte in 1998, the name didn't seem forced or unlikely on her. It just seemed impeccably stylish — as it will on you.

Comments

August 25, 2014 2:50 PM

I went through school with a girl named Charlotte, and we were born in the 80s.

August 25, 2014 5:59 PM
By Waltzing More Than Matilda (not verified)

Charlotte was in the Top 100 by 1989 in NSW, so definitely very believable for your age group.

I'll bring up the data from the NSW BDM for you to take a look at:

August 25, 2014 9:51 PM

Charlotte is a classic name. It's not tied to any age.

August 26, 2014 12:13 PM
By Agnetha (not verified)

Why shouldn't you call yourself 'Charlotte' if you like it? I use a name which is not from my ethnic background.

August 26, 2014 12:25 PM

If you like Charlotte then use it.

Charlotte has been around for centuries. Just because it may not have been popular around the time you were born doesn't mean it wasn't used. Many people have names that were not popular in their era.

August 26, 2014 12:27 PM

Here in the UK at least Charlotte is a very popular name for women born in the 1980s.

August 26, 2014 5:03 PM
By Snix (not verified)

Name Lady is spot on with this one - in my graduating high school class, only one of my 350 classmates was called Charlotte, but there was one, and no one ever thought she had an unusual name. (We were born in the mid-80's.) It's hitting a peak at the moment, but Charlotte is genuinely timeless.

August 26, 2014 5:05 PM

Actually... I know of an Olive born in the 1990s. It struck me as unusual but not odd.

August 27, 2014 9:26 AM
By CondoNow (not verified)

I love the name Charlotte, I don't think it's old as all. Now Deloris, that's a bit old.

August 28, 2014 8:30 AM
By karolyn (not verified)

I clicked on your question because I was expecting Kai or Kylie and I was eager to suggest that they're oversampled among friends of mine who have changed their names and something to be hesitant about if you don't want anyone to think you've changed your name. Charlotte gets a double thumbs up from me! :)

September 12, 2014 11:16 PM

My Aunt's name is Charlotte. She is in her mid fifties. In fact, I'd argue it's a rather classic name.

October 21, 2014 3:00 PM

I was born in '85, I went all through school with a girl named Charlotte. It never occurred to me that it was 'wrong' for our age group!