Will This Nickname Do?

I'm wondering if you've ever heard a junior nicknamed "Dos." It refers to the number two in Spanish.

--Mami-to-Be

I haven't heard of it, but it's a timely update on tradition that could certainly work. After all, there are Juniors called Deuce for "second" and Thirds called Trey and Trip. That style of nickname can help distinguish father and son better than "Big Tim" and "Little Tim," and may be more stylish than the name's own nickname options like Timmy.

While family namesakes are common in Spanish-speaking cultures, there's no real Spanish equivalent to the "Junior" suffix. Traditionally, a young José Navarro might have been distinguished from his papa as "José Navarro, hijo" ("José Navarro, son"), or with a double surname honoring both parents' families ("José Navarro y Vázquez.") But Latino families in the United States have embraced the Junior tradition in huge numbers. Bringing in "Dos" could give a new Spanish twist to that English naming style—fitting for our melting-pot society, and quite possibly for your baby too.

Dos does have some potential drawbacks as an English nickname. If you stumbled over the start of that last sentence, you know one of them: in some contexts, it can look like a typo or be confused with the word "does." Spoken aloud, it might also sound like a "dose" of medicine. But if neither of those worries you, then I'd say Dos is a Do.

Comments

September 23, 2014 4:31 PM

My son's nickname is Dos. He was named after his paternal grandfather so we call him Dos because he is a second, rather than a Junior (because he shares his whole name with his grandfather, but not his father, who only shares his first name.)
Ex:
John Robert Smith
John David Smith
John Robert Smith I I (Dos)

September 23, 2014 9:05 PM
By Rachel (not verified)

Not a Dos, but I her up with a third called Tres. His dad was studying Spanish at the time and liked it as an alternative to Trey.

September 24, 2014 1:58 AM
By friv games (not verified)

"John Robert Smith" look good, support you!

September 24, 2014 11:25 AM
By lara jane (not verified)

Dos is adorable!

For heaven's sake, NOT DEUCE!!!!!

September 24, 2014 12:44 PM

Yes, always Dos. Never Deuce. And occasionally, El Segundo just to be funny :)

October 7, 2014 9:49 PM
By Midu (not verified)

great information you bring to it makes me much more comfortable. http://www.friv4gamer.org

November 19, 2014 1:40 AM
By DamonSmead (not verified)

hey Dos sounds much better to call. I liked your choice of name. Go ahead with it. My brother's name is also Dos.
For more information on Sildenafil Citrate visit http://www.pharmacyglobalrx.net/sildenafil-citrate.html

February 25, 2017 4:54 PM
By Edward Evans (not verified)

I believe that you do not need to worry about it. If you strongly to think about all the little things, you can go crazy. Think about really important matters.
Edward from http://canadianmedicines.net