Is This Name Too Big a Burden?

I am 28 weeks pregnant with my second boy. Our first son's name is Callum. My husband and I like uncommon but not weird names. I suggested at least 30 names before he fell in love with the name Atlas. Is it weird? Too uncommon? I don't want people to make fun of my son's name.

- Worried About Weird

Atlas may seem like a big name for a little baby. In Greek mythology, Atlas was a Titan who was sentenced to carry the weight of the entire world on his shoulders. His name evokes both strength and suffering, in contrast to Callum, which suggests calmness and peace. Atlas is also associated with globes and maps.

So this name could be a lot to live up to. But uncommon? Not so much. In 2013, 283 new baby boys in the U.S. were named Callum. And how many were called Atlas? 282! Atlas, however, had a much bigger jump in rank from 2012 (#1406) to 2013 (#789). This might be thanks to the popularity of its first and last letters. A is a well- loved first initial, and the S ending is hot. Names such as Silas, Titus, Lucas, Jonas, and Cyrus are rising in popularity.

And mythological names are moving from out-there to mainstream, with picks like Apollo, Orion, and Odin (a name from Norse mythology) all in the top 1000 in 2013. So is Atticus, which has the A beginning, S ending, Latin sound, and sense of strength like Atlas does.

Will people make fun of the name Atlas? While no name is tease-proof, the great majority are no longer tease-magnets either. And who would dare toss a taunt at a Titan?

Comments

November 3, 2014 5:13 PM
By Mary Beth (not verified)

I absolutely adore the name Atlas. I agree with the Name Lady; no name is completely tease-proof, but in all honesty, most kids in their twenties don't know what an atlas is so I doubt while he is growing up that will ever be an teasing point.
Also, Callum is a beautiful name as well.

November 4, 2014 12:24 PM

Claudio Sanchez, the lead singer of the band Coheed and Cambria, and his wife named their baby Atlas earlier this year. It feels very wearable!

November 4, 2014 12:26 PM
By sparkle (not verified)

I think children are going to wonder why a person is named after a book before they discover the mythological reference. I do like Atlas as a name, but think it's in a different league to Callum. This could just be because I'm from the UK where Callum is super popular.

November 4, 2014 1:40 PM

I would automatically associate the name Atlas with the Ayn Rand book, Atlas Shrugged. If you like Ayn Rand's ideas, go for it. If not, just something to consider - people may make that connection.

November 4, 2014 9:45 PM

I love Atlas!! What a great name, and goes so well with handsome Callum!

November 5, 2014 10:42 AM
By Annee (not verified)

Well, I don't dislike or think it's too much ... I just think it doesn't quite fit with Callum. There are some other obscur Irish/Scots saints names that you might consider ... ALBAN, BRANNOCK, DUNSTAN, EAMONN, FELIX. Good luck!

November 5, 2014 11:53 AM

It's a great name. It Turkish and very popular in Turkey.

November 6, 2014 12:07 PM
By Clarissa (not verified)

I think Atlas is a fantastic name! It is unique but not weird! I am a fan of uncommon but not weird myself. My daughter is Violet. I love the name and she gets compliments all the time. I will say be prepared to feel like you are starting a trend though. I went with Violet and now everyone is naming their daughters Violet. Lol. I vote yes for sure to Atlas though!

November 6, 2014 4:39 PM

A friend of mine named her new son Atlas. I don't think I personally would use it, but it's really cute and it works well for him. For what it's worth, I've known his name for over 6 months now and never once until I read the previous comments did Ayn Rand or a book of maps cross my mind. I only ever thought of the mythical Atlas, and mythical names are getting so common that I think kids won't think it's odd enough to make fun of.

November 15, 2014 7:49 PM

When my friend told me she was naming her son Atlas I heard Alice! When I confessed that to her she said I was not the first to say that.

November 17, 2014 9:32 AM

I just don't think it goes well with Callum.

November 18, 2014 8:58 PM

Lol at the lady above who said that most kids in their twenties haven't heard of an atlas. I am a "kid in my twenties" and I am pretty sure most of us know what an atlas is.

What I can not say for other twenties-and-under is whether they will know the mythological story. However, that will be a cool story for your son to tell when he is on the playground and some kid possibly asks if he was named after a book.

"No, I am named after Atlas, let me tell you about him..."

Make the future kids a little smarter. ;)

May 1, 2015 11:06 AM
By AllisonB (not verified)

I do think he will get a lot of flack from it, just to be honest with you.