What Goes with Guinevere?

I am having a hard time finding a name that sounds good with our first daughter's name, Guinevere. I absolutely love her name and I keep hoping I will find a name I love as much as hers, but nothing has come up yet. Do you have any suggestions?

–Still Searching

Parents put a lot of pressure on themselves to find the perfect name, and the stakes only seem to get higher with subsequent children. If you've already used the best name out there, how can you follow that up?

The first step is to give yourself a break. Part of the reason you love the name Guinevere so much is that you love the girl named Guinevere so much. Since your second baby isn't here yet, his or her name can't take on that meaning. So lower your standards—a little. Your next baby's name will become much more special once it's attached to a real little person.

To help you find that next name, take a look at what makes Guinevere special to you. It's long, without sounding flowery. It's familiar, clearly feminine, and unquestionably traditional, but has never been common. It has an air of magic, mystery and romance. You might look to mythology, history, and literature for names with a similar feel.

For boys, names like Leander, Tarquin, Aramis, and Trajan come to mind, along with surnames such as Tennyson and Locke. For girls, consider Penelope, Beatrix, Hermione, Elspeth, Bryony, Isolde, or Artemis. With your adventurous style, you'll find the right name if you look in the right places. Good luck!

Comments

July 27, 2015 10:49 PM

I love the suggestion of Tennyson. I would also add Sebastian, Byron, & Donovan for boys; Cordelia, Bronwyn, and Mercedes for girls.

July 28, 2015 12:53 AM

My eyes would bug out a little at a sibset of Guinevere and Tarquin (an adulteress and a rapist!) or Guinevere and Isolde (both cheated on kings! I'd expect the third sister to be Cersei.) Granted, "cheater" would be far from my first thought at Guinevere alone...but in that company it would take on a different ring.

July 28, 2015 10:23 AM
By Marina (not verified)

My daughter has two family names, her name was planned for years, and I had no idea how to find a name for my son that measured up. So I didn't. He has a name I like and fits my style. It's actually kind of more fun that way, it felt kind of freeing to consider every name under the sun with the just the qualification of whether I liked how it sounded. :)

July 28, 2015 1:20 PM

Sibling names do not have to go together. I'd focus more on names you actually like and not on whether they "match."

July 28, 2015 2:06 PM

I agree that if "goes with" ties in educated/historical associations, you should do your homework. For style alone I would say that Lydia, a name ending in "issa" and Genevieve come to mind. Alexander, Orion and Hugo for boys; all sound like strong heroes of their own story.

July 28, 2015 11:47 PM

I just today posted above and would like to add Eloise to the girl list. ;)

July 29, 2015 11:42 AM

I agree that "goes with" isn't required for sibling names. However, I have encountered siblings groups with names that seem so odd together that it's a bit jarring & I've wondered how it happened. For example, I would be very surprised to meet a Guinevere with a sister named something like McKenzie. At the same time, sibling names can also be too matchy, as in the example of Guinevere & Isolde.

I'll suggest Melisande, Isadora, Juliet, Seraphina & Lorelei for girls. All are familiar, very feminine & not super common (like Guinevere). But I also think they represent a range of different, but complimentary, styles.

For boys, I'd look for familiar but less common names that are definitely masculine. Perhaps Peregrine, Benedict, Bennett, Augustus/Augustine & Alastair.

July 31, 2015 3:52 AM
By EmilyM (not verified)

While I love Isolde, if I met sisters called Guinevere and Isolde I would think their parents were setting them up for tragedy.

I agree with the suggestion of Eloise above. To me is has the name kind of attractive mouth-movements (if that makes any sense at all) as Guinevere. Beatrix is also nice, or Honor, or perhaps something like Imogen or Ottilie. I feel like they're different enough from Guinevere without losing that vaguely mystical touch. Matilda is also pretty.

For boys I liked the Tennyson suggestion, and also like Bram/Bramwell. Bizarrely, the name matchmaker suggested "Voldemort." Surely nobody is giving this name to their baby?!?!

September 1, 2015 9:44 AM